So, time is running!
I hope, everyone is doing great on their games!
Our project makes great progress. :)
The most obvious thning are probably the graphics. And then there is a whole set of gameplay mechanics which have been implemented:
Players can throw mines now, a level is loaded, collisions, a win/loose condition, a sudden death mode once the timer is over, …
The level is actually just a 32x24 image with the r,g and b values encoding different types of tile types, like which player spawns where, if it is a normal, wall or breakable tile and so on. Implementing this is super easy and creating levels is really fun then. So I hope I can push out some more levels quickly at the end of the jam.
I hope I get some of the larger issues (win screen with some statistics, nice join screen, some player traces) out of the way tonight, as tomorrow will be quite packed with "non-jam" stuff (so to say an unjammed day ;) ).
Didn't get much done in the first day because I spent most of it trying to figure out a line of sight system that I ditched after a few hours of failure. Instead I've gone with this weird system where you can only see the 9 tiles around any space that you've previously been.
Since that didn't make sense as a sight system, the player is now a map maker.
If I have the time I might try to make some nicer tiles, but for now I'm just imitating the symbols used in ASCII roguelikes.
So, I probably should have registered us as a team, but my amazing sister, Becca, ended up helping with this by doing the art for the game. Since I'm more of a programmer than an artist, this has helped a lot. The concept is that you're exploring a haunted house, looking for your brother who went in and didn't come out. There is a ghost that is invisible most of the time. This plays into the theme of "you can't see everything." We're also playing into it with the idea of "nothing is as it seems." This game is going to be pretty short, but we're hoping it's interesting. This screenshot shows some of what we have so far. The sprites and tiles from RPG Maker MV were used as a base, and edited by Becca.
I was hoping "Don't Stop" was going to be the winning theme. You know, for something to do with cars, or rather busses and boats. But when the "You Can't See Everything" was announced I had an immediate draw to extend the Archer game I just spent 7 weeks creating. Obviously just adding a feature to a built game is against the rules and spirit of a game jam, so I would have to find a way to cut some corners and build it in much shorter time.
Luckily due to experience and knowing how the big project was structured it took a mere 4 hours to get get basic control, arrows flying, arrows colliding with ground and arrows colliding with an entity, spiders. This includes extremely basic/roughed out art.