Can't show anything because I can't use hyperlinks yet. 1 day left, already tired, but not giving up yet.
Spoilers (if you don't want to know what my game is about (yet), don't read) : It's a Plants vs. Zombies type of game, but instead
you use mushrooms/fungi to fight against insects that are fungivore (snails, termites, beetles, and slugs) ! :D
I was completely paralyzed yesterday — was hoping to put a dent into it, but I never got started. This morning I looked into using Twine but decided on my own framework, REPLICA 1.3. I have some of the basics in place:
Regardless, Twine looks very good — I may use it next time. For now, I stick with what’s familiar to me.
I had Friday off, so I thought I'd throw some ideas around before the theme was selected. I made a controller for the player, except it wouldn't work at all. I could get the player moving around, but colliders wouldn't work. Or colliders would work, but I'd get strange behaviour, like the player being tilted just enough towards the sky so that it would fly up to the air, and gravity not seeming to work.
Variations in my code look like so:
//rb.AddTorque(Vector3.up * r);
transform.Rotate(Vector3.up * r);
//rb.MoveRotation(Quaternion.Euler(Vector3.up * r));
//transform.Translate(Vector3.forward * s);
//rb.velocity = transform.forward * s;
rb.AddForce(transform.forward * s);
//rb.MovePosition(transform.position + transform.forward * s);
Transforms on the rigidbody (abbreviated here as rb) work with collisions, but do not result in the motion I am looking for (most notably, staying on the ground!). Moving the transform itself does not respect collisions.
The next thing I did was delete the scene I was working in. So I can't make an animated gif of the various things the player did. I don't know how I deleted it, but I can't find the scene anywhere. I hadn't made prefabs of anything, so lots of stuff was lost.
Next, I modeled a mushroom in blender. "Model a mushroom in 3 minutes!" the advert for the video said, but it took me closer to an hour. However, upon importing said mushroom to Unity (and find the scene disappeared), I find the normals of the mushroom cap are inverted.
I can't seem to include images here, otherwise you'd be looking at a mushroom and the inside of a head of a mushroom. (Edit: It appears that the brower I am using, Brave, is not showing the images, but Firefox does show the images. So your mushrooms may vary. Let me know if the normals are working on the second image.)
I've been programming in Unity for years (my first global game jam was in 2012 with Unity) and yet today I feel like a beginner all over again. I've been mostly doing 2D stuff, and today I am recognizing how much easier the 2D stuff is.
Today has been rough. Even the man pages are returning error messages instead of telling me how use things.