Seems like my first 48-hour jam (I've only ever done 72 hours) won't go ahead. I still have 20 "high priority" graphics to do on my list and, in less than 5 hours, doing that plus playtesting + bugfixing + implementing my audio + character AI + policies, this isn't going to work. And that's with planning for no graphics for important gameplay elements like hiring teachers and reacting to school dramas.
Unfortunately I have to work today so that will set back my progress as well. Still hoping to submit something soon. If I can't make it within the 72 hours it will be asap, because I've made so much cool stuff during this jam that I'd really like to show it. And there's always the option of coming back for a future jam.
One big lesson is how the 42 hour thing affects how I scope projects. Although I did start with an engine for the first time, having that base code didn't help me as much as I thought it would, especially since it's not a mature engine yet. Other tools, like the scripting system I developed, were helpful but I can think of better ways to plan them out with the benefit of hindsight. So I take it as a learning experience. I particularly struggled with developing the UI and will need to rethink how I tackle that for next time. Maybe I'll build myself a visual layout tool.
My big "win" from this jam was that people actually complemented my art. I put so much effort into it this jam … about double as many individual sprites as my previous jam, actually. So I'm glad it's paying off.
Yesterday we were really unsure where the game was going, due to it being vastly overscoped. Given what we had done yesterday, we started this morning by detailed thinking about the gameplay, and how to scope things down while keeping the game fun.
We now have a detailed task list, and despite the removal of combat we are think we can have something fun by the end of the jam. With the most tricky parts of the code already completed by @Thrainsa, we are now building various systems at light speed! Today has been super satisfying so far. Let's hope it stays so until the end :)
One day down. Songs finished. Now it's time for sound effects and general admin.
Ended up creating three tracks for our game, all playing off the same root idea. I was trying to channel a bit of the whimsy and goofiness of Animal Crossing: New Leaf's OST.
Went in live instrument-heavy this time, using a couple of guitars, a bass, and synth. The rest of the stuff is coming straight from Ableton. Taking the same idea and running with it in different directions was a ton of fun and very rewarding. Most of the work is just having fun with an idea and taking it to ridiculous places.
On to day 2!