Hey, I am Jozef and this will be my second time participating here. First one was Raycasting Kajam and it was a lot of fun.
Since I am still very green in all game-related stuff, I will be using Love2D and writing everything in Lua (in vim). In my last project I've managed to make my program segfault and never really find out why, so this time around I'll try to avoid that.
I feel that no matter the theme, I will probably end up making something using mostly geometric graphics. One thing I wanted to try was to make music using one of those simplified-music-production mobile apps, so we'll see where that goes.
The first fancy thing I've done is making the game map load from a PNG file, with each pixel matching with a tile. Even the color palette is dynamically loaded (from another PNG holding a single row of pixels), and can be easily changed. Indexes in the palette hold the semantics of each tile:
Please find my raycasting game Burning Glyphs
I always wanted to take part in the 7dfps. I always played shooters. My first one was DukeNukem3D, which a friend showed me and I was blown away.
When I received the Game Engine Blackbook for Wolfenstein 3D as a birthday present, I knew that I don't have any more excuses. I can wholeheartedly recommend the book. It is written very well and in an entertaining way, contains a lot of helpful explanations and also was proofchecked. This is important, because a lot of tutorials on the internet contain minor or major math errors, inconsistent or confusing variable naming and so on. I have been there, and I have found my missing minus sign just due to this book.
So 7dfps it should be. I only learned some dasy into 7dfps that the next kajam will be about raycasting. So bear with me for submitting the same game twice.
The raycasting was written from scratch, and I have to say: "That is not so easy to get right!". It took me a lot of drawings and scribbles on paper. But eventually I managed.
I am working as a c++ software developer and c++ is in fact my preferred language to write games. Lucky for me I was working on a so called JamTemplate which was lately being able to compile to web via emscripten.
I had to try this out! It wasn't easy, especially getting multiple libraries (SFML, SDL) combined in one framework. Burning Glyphs was so to speak the full rehersal and I am pretty happy how it turned out. Of course there are still a lot of quirks and issues left, but I am confident that they will vanish throughout the next projects. And to be honest, witnessing your c++ code being executed in a browser is pretty awesome :D