What Was My Goal?
My goal was to create a game that involved flying between worlds and overcoming challenges. Throw in some dialogue. Shake and Stir.
What Went Well?
- I managed the flying between worlds, the related level transitions and some basic dialogue in regards to the shopkeepers.
What Went Not So Well?
- I overscoped. The game concept was probably to big for a single person over a game jam weekend. Especially when combined with the schedule of the Jam. I ended up with nothing more then stubs for most of the levels, with not much intresting to do with them.
- Modeing/art, as usually, for me didn't go very far.
- I didn't manage to have time to create a quality main menu or options menu (I have code to support x/y invert on the camera and audio channel level slidders, but I didn't have time to wire it all up)
What Did I Take Away?
- I have already got some good feedback regarding the core idea (flying between worlds and overcoming challenges) even with the roughness of the presentation and the incompleteness of the levels.
- I think I have a functional core loop, just needs some expansion (few more connected and varried mechanics) and some levels to do with it (and the ovious art upgrades).
- After spending a few hours fleshing out the levels that were only stubbed in, v1.1 is a much fuller and varried experiance, which got to about the level I was hoping to get with my levels.